- Understand the long-term impact of student loans.
- Identify reasons for not taking on debt to fund your education
- Develop a plan to attend college without acquiring debt.
- Demonstrate how to apply for financial aid.
- Identify the educational requirements, training, and cost for your career of choice.
- Analyze post-high school education and career training options.
- Watch Video 3.3
- Discussion Questions:
- What are some excuses people make for taking out student loans?
- What percentage of student loan borrowers had difficulty repaying their student loan?
- Beware and Be Wise: Read “A MESSAGE FROM DAVE” located in Section 1, pg 107. Evaluate Dave’s warning about the long-term effects of student loan debt. Also, read the following case studies:
- Design a poster to inform teens about the long-term effects of student loan debt and to persuade them to avoid financing their college education altogether. Your poster must include:
- Based on the case studies, highlight some of the things these former students had to sacrifice in order to pay back their student loans.
- Research online to find two additional examples of how student loan debt has impacted the lives of former students.
- Provide a challenge to an opposing claim regarding student loans.
- Other things to consider:
- Dave compares student loan debt to a “monster in your closet.” What does he mean by that?
- What are some of the sacrifices former students in your case studies have had to make in order to repay their student loan debt?
- Remember, the purpose of this poster is to grab your peers’ attention and clearly express the dangers of student loan debt. Be creative!