- Learn basic statistics about the current digital landscape
- Explore the role that media plays in their lives
- Reflect on the positive and negative impact digital media has on them and on society
- Inside of your Digital Citizenship Unit folder, create a new folder titled Lesson 1. All your tasks completed in Lesson 1 should be stored in this folder.
What is Digital Media?
- Digital Media are electronic devices and media platforms such as computers, cell phones, video, the Internet, and video games that allow users to create, communicate, and interact with one another of with the device or application itself.
Got Media Smarts?
- This quiz is a way to evaluate your familiarity with some statistics on how people – especially teens – use digital media in their daily lives.
- What is a simile?
- A simile is a figure of speech in which a comparison is made between two different things using the word likeor as
- Take a few moments to reflect on the following questions:
- How big a role do digital media (Internet, texting, video games) play in your life (a little, some, a lot)?
- What are your favorite and least favorite things to do with digital media?
- Do you connect with others or create things with digital media?
- What are the positive and not-so-positive aspects of having digital media in your life?
- Create a new Google Document titled Simile-(Your Initials) and move it into your Lesson 1 folder.
- In your document, complete one of the following statements in a way that captures and conveys the role of digital media in your life:
- My media life is like a _______________, because ____________________________________________________________.
- My media life is as _______________ as a _______________, because ___________________________________________.
- Share your document with the person sitting behind you. When you receive the document from the person sitting in front of you, read their simile and respond with a statement or question below the simile.
- Watch this video about the perspectives on social media.
- Make a copy of this Google Document, name it PSM-(Your Initials), and move it into your Lesson 1 folder.
- Using what you learned in the Perspectives on Social Media video, complete the document as directed.
- Create a new document titled Reflections-(Your Initials) and move it into your Lesson 1 folder.
- Read each question below and answer each question in a paragraph form in your document using complete sentences:
- How did the statistics you learned in the quiz compare with the way you use digital media in your own life? Which digital media do you think you use the most and the least – and why?
- What did your simile indicate about the role that digital media plays in your life?
- Can you describe one upside and one downside for yourself about living in a digital world? For your relationships with others? For society as a whole? Do you connect with others or create things with digital media?
- After completing the assigned tasks in Lesson 1 above, share your Lesson 1 folder with your teacher. Your folder should have the following files in it:
Lesson 1 Quiz-DCU
- Complete the Lesson 1 Quiz for the Digital Citizenship Unit.