After studying Lesson 14-1, you will be able to:
- Identify the types of risks facing businesses.
- Describe ways that businesses can deal with risks.
- Log into your Google Drive account.
- Navigate to your Unit 3 folder.
- Inside of the Unit 3 folder, create a new folder titled Chapter 14. Everything you create in Chapter 14 will be stored in this folder.
- Obtain a copy of the notes handout.
- Read Lesson 14-1 on pages 342-346.
- As you read, utilize this presentation to help you fill in the missing parts on the handout.
- Part I
- Storms, earthquakes, and other natural disasters are often very costly to individuals, businesses, and communities. Millions of dollars in damages are suffered. It takes months and even years to recover.
- Obtain your assigned country from your instructor.
- Use the internet to identify the most costly natural disasters that have occurred in your country. Identify the type of disaster, the region affected, and the estimated financial costs of each.
- Create a new Google Drawing titled Natural Disasters-(Your Initials) and move it into your Chapter 14 folder. In your drawing, create a map that shows your country. Using pictures and drawing objects, identify on your map where the natural disaster took place as well as detail the financial loss that occurred from it.
- Part II
- Make a copy of this Google Document, rename it Types of Risks-(Your Initials), and move it into your Chapter 14 folder.
- Think carefully about the types of risks you and other family members face as a part of your daily lives.
- In the first column, list 10 risks you and other family members face in a given day. In the second column, type CONTROLLABLE if the risk is controllable or type UNCONTROLLABLE if the risk is not controllable. In the third column, give a short description on your reasoning for choosing your choice in column two. In the fourth column, provide actions that you and your family members can take to reduce the risk or the possible damage that could occur.