After studying Lesson 5-3, you will be able to:
- Understand important principles in designing an effective organization.
- Compare alternative organizational structures for businesses.
- Obtain a copy of the notes handout.
- Read Lesson 5-3 on pages 113-116.
- As you read, utilize this presentation to help you fill in the missing parts on the handout.
- Many schools are organized using a functional organizational structure. Teachers are organized into departments such as English, Mathematics, Science, and Business. How could a school be organized using a matrix structure? Design an organizational chart that illustrates a matrix structure for your school. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the matrix structure as applied to a school. To complete this task, do the following:
- Create a new Google Drawing titled Organizational Structure-(Your Initials) and place it in your Chapter 5 folder.
- Read the information provided about Matrix Organizational Structure on page 116 of your textbook.
- Using the drawing features in Google Drawing, design an organizational chart similar to the one in Figure 5-3 on page 115. Be sure to label each part to identify how our school could be organized into a Matrix structure.