- Evaluate investment alternatives: money markets, bonds, single stocks, mutual funds, annuities, and real estate.
- Explain the Rule of 72.
- Identify different types of retirement plans.
- Explain how taxes affect the rate of return on investments.
- Understand how pre-tax and after-tax investments work.
- Understand how the stock market works.
- Be familiar with the various retirement account tax treatments.
- Develop a plan for investing; describe how to buy and sell investments.
- Watch Video 2.1
- Record the missing words from pages 167-168 of the textbook as they pop up on the left side of the video screen by filling in this form. (pages 167-168) .
- Discussion Questions:
- Why does a CD have a slightly higher interest rate than a typical savings account at a bank?
- Which carries higher risk: money market accounts or single stocks?
- Do bonds typically yield high or low returns?
- Select one of the Ask Dave radio calls within the “Investing” category label shown below and listen to it:
- Make a copy of this Google Document, rename it LFPP-(Your Initials), and move it into your Chapter 8 folder. Use the information in the call to answer the questions in the document.
- In your Personal Finance Journal-C8 file in your Chapter 8 folder, complete the next row in the table by answering the question listed.